Monday, March 8, 2010

Post 8

As far as the process of researching and learning about the music culture of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra went, I did not face any major problems. It was not difficult to access all the information about the DSO online thanks to the informative official website. The website was also the place to go to for finding upcoming events or concerts and purchasing tickets. The way to get to the Meyerson Symphony Center could be resolved by taking the Dart train, which helped save $10 for parking in the garage.

Several public programs were organized by the DSO in February and March, but I tried to attend a concert that featured the orchestra itself. There were two such available concerts that I could attend during the research period: Itzhak Perlman concert and Music of Pink Floyd concert. As a sincere fan of the legendary violin master Itzhak Perlman, I planned to go to his concert with the DSO as my first choice, but unfortunately, I was unable to purchase a ticket due to the enormous popularity and demand of tickets. By the time, I visited the website to purchase a ticket, they were all sold out. With a bitter, yet hopeful feeling, I quickly purchased a ticket to the Pink Floyd concert, which turned out to be a successful field participation for my music-culture study.

As for the interview, I figured the easiest way was to contact a friend, who is a huge fan of DSO and has attended several of the concerts. I was able to conduct a short interview with her to gain some perspectives as an active participant as an audience member.

No comments:

Post a Comment