Thursday, January 14, 2010

Post 1

Ever since I started grade school, I have been taking private lessons for piano and violin. Naturally, I grew up with classical music as the core and mainstream popular music as the rest of my musical influence. I am pretty open to a wide variety of genre, but I always appreciate the sheer existence of western classical music because it is timeless. The more I endure through the training in classical music, the more I learn about it each time. I could never get tired of listening to Chopin’s ballad no. 1 (yes, Chopin is one of my favorite composers of all time) as opposed to some of the mainstream pop music of today. Plus, a piece of classical music is presented in different interpretations by various musicians, but a pop song is almost always played by the same artist and in the same original manner on the radio. Nonetheless, I definitely enjoy singing, or even rapping along to songs by Mariah Carey, Maroon 5, Jay-Z , and so on. But, it is not the same aesthetic experience that involves my soul whenever I play some Chopin, Rachmaninov, or even Mozart masterpieces on the piano. I simply love classical music, which is perceived as scholarly and prestigious by most musicians and music-lovers around the world, when studied at advanced level. I believe it is an art form that can be studied in the most meticulous means possible to a musician and as a passionate artist, I will continue to challenge myself in pursuing the unreachable perfection that classical music has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment