Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Post 2: Proposal for Musical Ethnography of a Dallas Music-Culture

Dallas is indeed a city that provides a variety of fascinating music-culture. I admit I had some struggles trying to come up with one interesting component of the music-cultures of Dallas for my musical ethnography project. I am open to most genres of music, but I know I am a fervent classical music lover. So, when it comes to quality classical music, I cannot help but to think Dallas Symphony Orchestra. I’ve always enjoyed attending their concerts and appreciated their deep passion for the art of music. The Dallas Symphony Orchestra (DSO) is an American ensemble of professional classical musicians with a long history tracing back to the start of the 20th century. With successive leaderships of eminent music directors, the DSO has achieved extensive touring, recording, as well as special community and education concerts. The DSO, currently under the direction of Jaap van Zweden, performs its concerts in the world-renowned Meyerson Symphony Center located at the Arts District of downtown Dallas. As one of the largest performing arts organization in the Southwest, the DSO relies on financial stability (from endowment funds and donations) as a key element of its success. The DSO mainly focuses on repertoires of classical masterpieces, but it incorporates jazz, pop, and opera music as well. I must say I am excited to research and learn more about this precious enriching commodity the DSO has to offer as a Dallas music-culture.

Official website of DSO

No comments:

Post a Comment